This Mother’s Day, why not treat your Mom to a fabulous brunch filled with international flavors she’ll absolutely love? Plus, by cooking at home, you’ll avoid the restaurant crowds and impress Mama with your culinary skills (that I’m sure she passed on to you in the first place). A true socialite knows how to be a great hostess–especially when her guest is such an important person like her mother. If you’re not sure what you should make, never fear–I’ve got a few recipes to share with you.
Each of these recipes is complemented by Nando’s deliciously spicy PERi-PERi sauce. This South African/Portuguese sauce is popular with your fave celebs like Drake, Ed Sheeran, and Bella Hadid. Made with the African Birds Eye Chili, found in Mozambique, any of the dishes below will certainly tickle Mom’s tastebuds. And according to a Harvard study, spicy foods may help you live longer, which is a pretty amazing perk when enjoying this special time with your favorite lady.
Chicken, Pineapple & Sweet Potato Kebabs
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
4 Chicken breasts with skin on, each cut into 3
1 Pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
2 Sweet potato, washed and cut into chunks
2 Yellow peppers, quartered
2 Red peppers, quartered
Bay leaves, to garnish
3 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Cup Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
½ Cup coconut cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Skewer the chicken, pineapple, sweet potato, yellow peppers and onion onto a large skewer garnishing each end with a bay leaf.
2. Combine the olive oil, Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce and coconut cream in a mixing bowl. Coat the kebabs with the spicy marinade and place in the oven to roast for 45 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked and golden brown.
Zucchini and Tomato Baked Eggs
Preparation Time: 8 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
1 Yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Zucchini, chopped into small chunks
½ Red pepper, cut into small chunks
14 oz. Canned tomatoes
2 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 oz. Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
Pinch of salt
1. On medium-low heat combine the olive oil and cumin seeds in a deep, medium skillet and stir until fragrant.
2. Add the onions and a pinch of salt to the skillet and stir until they begin to brown, then stir in the zucchini and red pepper.
3. Pour the canned tomatoes over the top of the veggies so that it makes an even layer and swirl Nando’s PERi-PERi on top. Let simmer for 5 minutes
4. Crack the eggs into the skillet, ensuring enough space between them
5. Take skillet off heat and place under a hot grill until eggs are cooked, about 5 minutes
6. Top with fresh cilantro and serve with chunks of warm bread if desired
PERi-PERi Cornflake Chicken Strips
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 Minutes
2 Chicken breasts with skin off, each cut into 4 strips
1 bottle Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
½ Cup plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
½ Cup crushed Cornflakes
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Coat each strip of chicken in the flour mixture and dip in Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce before covering with the crushed cornflakes
3. Lay on a slightly greased pan and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes
4. Enjoy by dipping in more of your favorite Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
Which recipe are you going to make for Mom? I suggest making them all. Moms deserve the best, right? Nando’s PERi-PERi is just that.
Recipes and images courtesy of Nando USA. Words courtesy of yours truly.