As a bonafide socialite, I’m always looking for an excuse to get out of the house and spend time with friends. But sometimes, it’s just as fun to invite my friends over. That way I can socialize in the comfort of my own home. It’s fun being a hostess, but it can also be a bit stressful. You want to be sure your guests are relaxed and enjoy themselves. Worrying about it all can make it difficult for you to enjoy yourself as well. That’s why it’s super helpful to prep in advance. With these tips, you can shorten your to-do list on the day of the party and focus on more important things—like what you’re going to wear, which hors d’oeuvres you’re going to serve, and what wines you’ll be sipping.
1. First, you should pick a theme. I know themed parties sound like something reserved for the kiddie crowd, but adults love a fun themed gathering as well. You don’t have to break out the decorations with cartoon characters in order to have a theme for your event. A wine social, where you offer different types of red and white wines, would be a great idea. And I love hosting Taco night, especially since it’s easy to provide a ton of fixings so that everyone can customize their tacos. Add margaritas, and you’re good to go! Having a theme gives your guests something to look forward to and gets them excited to join you. Most importantly, having a theme will help you figure out exactly what items you need to gather in preparation for your party.
2. Think about the size of your home and determine a good number of guests to invite. You don’t want to invite too many people over. Those crowded house parties are better left back in your college days. And you don’t want too few guests or else it won’t feel like a true gathering. A good rule of thumb is that about 20% of the people you invite won’t be able to join you, so send out a few more invites to account for this.
3. If you’re from Georgia, you know the summers here can get HOT. By taking advantage of quality window tinting solutions in your home, you can ensure that you and your guests are comfortable no matter what Mother Nature does. If your window treatments could use some work and you’re in the Atlanta area, I highly recommend my friends over at UHS Window Tinting and Blinds. They’re the best when it comes to both residential and commercial window tinting and treatments in the city. With over 30 years of experience, the decision to use them for all of your needs is no sweat (literally and figuratively)! Matt and his team of experts can handle any of your concerns, from excessive heat and glare to security and privacy. Or, they can help you decorate windows and fixtures in your home so your place looks fab for the party!
4. Speaking of making your place look fab, it’s a good idea to begin tidying up your home a few days before your party. Make sure the areas where your guests will be congregating are clean. Everything doesn’t have to be immaculate, but you want your home to be inviting so that your guests are comfortable. Place clean hand towels, toilet paper, and soap in the bathroom that your friends will be using (maybe even put a bottle of Poo~Pourri in there, just in case haha). Also, make sure your kitchen is free of dirty dishes. That way, you aren’t adding on to an existing pile of dirty plates, glasses, and cutlery.
5. Keep your décor and menu simple. Planning a party is a lot of work in itself, but you don’t want to be frazzled to the point that you can’t enjoy yourself. Bigger isn’t always better. And too many options can be overwhelming. Pick a menu that’s easy to curate and use pretty, versatile items for decorations. Your guests will be more focused on the great time they’re having, not every small detail.
6. Music is always a nice addition to the ambiance of any house party, and it can affect the tone of the event. Want to have a dance party? Turn on the pop, rock, or hip hop and crank up the volume! Prefer a more elegant vibe? Play jazz or classical music. Get your playlist together in advance, or choose a few good stations on your favorite streaming music service.
The big day is finally here—it’s party time! Be sure to greet your guests at the door with a drink and a huge smile. Thanks to these tips and all your preparation, you look like the total hostess with the moistest and you and your friends are sure to have an amazing time.